DRAWVENTURES

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
allicopter
Artakha
SineNomine
7 posters

Let's make an rpg together

Artakha
    Artakha
    Pizza Samurai
    Pizza Samurai

Awesomes : 4507

Let's make an rpg together - Page 4 Empty Re: Let's make an rpg together

Post  Artakha Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:39 pm

Let's make an rpg together - Page 4 571615246 you may think that was me...
    SineNomine
    SineNomine
    Admin
    Admin

Awesomes : 4682

Post  SineNomine Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:28 pm

RESUME DEVELOPMENT RESUME DEVELOPMENT RESUME DEVELOPMENT RESUME DEVELOPMENT RESUME DEVELOPMENT RESUME DEVELOPMENT RESUME DEVELOPMENT RESUME DEVELOPMENT RESUME DEVELOPMENT RESUME DEVELOPMENT RESUME DEVELOPMENT RESUME DEVELOPMENT

Alright it's time to kick this project back into full speed. I've worked on smoothing out the story a bit. Now for a list of things that are available for anybody to do at this moment:

-Sasquatch he is a main character and we don't have much designed about him. I think we should open a new thread for discussion about his design.
    - okay i'll edit in a bigger list in later i just want to get this post up
    Artakha
    Artakha
    Pizza Samurai
    Pizza Samurai

Post  Artakha Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:40 pm

Anything a lazy bum like me could help with? Let's make an rpg together - Page 4 1775307172
    SineNomine
    SineNomine
    Admin
    Admin

Post  SineNomine Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:51 pm

ah dont have time to post right now so ignore the spelling mistkes.

there are several things to do now but i dont have time to discuss now, so ill leave you with the idea of designing the town. map it out and stuff, npc's, other planning. and then design what its like in the alternate present. (where dinos rule)

ill be on after meeting
    SineNomine
    SineNomine
    Admin
    Admin

Post  SineNomine Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:46 pm

where oh where to get started today... there are a few things i could do, but i wish i had something major to do right now. I guess I'll make a list of things I want to do tonight:
    1. design the train. it has to have a look if we are going to put it in the game!
    2. make an outline of the story so you all get how it comes together.
    3. discuss! jared's not here, and I need someone to plan and discuss with! So hopefully someone logs in the chatbox tonight.
    4. make a list of duties for people to volunteer for. (if anyone wants to do #1, design the circus train, be my guest!)
    ~~

alright, thats what I plan to do, so how about we get a discussion going about our #2 protaganist, Sasquatch! I want you guys to post what he is like. If you don't know where to start, base an outline like mine:

A description of his personality and traits, like "He is a hipster, and very snarky and sarcastic. He wears a scarf and has super strength. He hates time-travel.
    Weapon type: his fist
    Armor type: scarf
    Abilities or skills: Head bash: Bashes 2 enemies heads together, causes dizzyness."

You get the idea. But you don't have to write a full description if you don't want to, just be part of the discussion.

story summary:
    click em

yeah its really messy sorry
    page 1
    page 2

yeah its really messy sorry
    I will keep adding to it
    Artakha
    Artakha
    Pizza Samurai
    Pizza Samurai

Post  Artakha Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:58 pm

I think I need to somehow get on here the same time you do, then I can be more helpful. Let's make an rpg together - Page 4 3860308923 You said something about designing the town, do you mean the town you start in, Boring OR, or the town you get to after the train, somewhere in Washington? And do you still start in Boring and end up in Washington or was that changed?
    SineNomine
    SineNomine
    Admin
    Admin

Post  SineNomine Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:06 am

You're right, we need some sort of method to synchronize and discuss.
    And Yeah, the town after you get off the train. You can map it out, plan the buildings, npc's* and their dialog, and things like that, but focus on setting up the jokes (or whatever you would call it) for when it changes into a dinosaur theme. I haven't thought of any, tho, so you're on your own with that, sorry! And I hope you remember what I mean by "jokes", which I guess isn't entirely the right word I'm looking for. Gags, I guess? I think we talked about it before.
    But maybe before you design it completely....

(bolded because I'm saying this to everyone.)
    We should probably have some sort of quest or mini adventure when Hobo and Sassy are in the town. Anyone who is up for writing that, go ahead. It doesn't have to be anything big or complicated, simple will do, but feel free to make it however you like!

In other news, I've been trying to get to bed much earlier, so that may take away some of the time from me developing it late at night. Who knows, maybe the game will turn out better if I'm not half asleep when I'm making it?

*also, for those following along and are confused what an npc is, it stands for non-player-character. Mostly townsfolk or people in an environment that don't do much but stand around in the game to make it more realistic. They will be referred to a lot during development, so I just thought you should know.
    Artakha
    Artakha
    Pizza Samurai
    Pizza Samurai

Post  Artakha Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:49 pm

Awesome. Let's see... Did we decide the name of the town after the train? And is it based off a real town or can I just go crazy and design it myself?
    SineNomine
    SineNomine
    Admin
    Admin

Post  SineNomine Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:31 pm

Go ahead and make it however you want. As for the name... We'll think of something silly. Feel free to start a discussion about how the town, the more input the better, we want a lively town.

And I'll finish more of the story draft soon. I'll probably have to make a more legible story summery once I'm finished :\

And here is page 3
    page 3
    click it
    Artakha
    Artakha
    Pizza Samurai
    Pizza Samurai

Post  Artakha Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:55 pm

Ok... So, I should make a plain old map with streets and the tops of buildings, and dots for different npcs? With the buildings of importance labeled? And other random stuff like street vendors? What all do I need to include?
    SineNomine
    SineNomine
    Admin
    Admin

Post  SineNomine Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:12 pm

How much experience do you have playing rpgs? If you've played a few then that would help. Basically, the buildings have to all be facing south, mostly square or rectangular, (the whole thing is tile based.) The people, or npc's, need a line of dialogue when you talk to them.
    And if you have played rpgs, then your question is in a different context. Yep, just map out the different buildings, some on the inside if you want, map out the npc's. Give it a park, some stores, somewhere to recycle your cans, as much stuff as you can think of.
    and its not like this is something that needs done now, we don't have much planned out for this town yet anyway.
    SineNomine
    SineNomine
    Admin
    Admin

Post  SineNomine Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:22 am

Announcement, FOR ALL OF YOU, READ:
    Okay, those of you who want to know whats going on, here is a summary of things being worked on, and things to come. As well as what you're going to be helping out with.

Okay, first off, let me introduce how everybodies roles go:
    There are 2 divisions so far:

Main Team:
    SineNomine
    Artakha
    Technetium

and maybe MandaPanda

The Community:
    All you great people who are awesome

Your role as the community:
    If you want to keep it simple, and I know some of you do, there will be a series of threads titled: "Community Spotlight". There will always be one open. The purpose is to focus on one aspect of the game at a time, and freely discuss the subject. It takes very little effort, and I really encourage you all to participate.
    And another way to get involved, without getting too involved, is to keep an eye out for polls. There will be aspects on which you can anonymously vote.
    And for those who want to get more involved, follow the main thread, this thread. There will be a lot of things that we, the main team, will need help with to get done. These things we would ask of you, will not usually require a special skill*, There are just a lot things to do, and we need to manage our time wisely.
    And if you want to be part of the main team, or just want to be assigned things to do, or want to volunteer, post in this thread or PM me.

feel free to ask questions in this thread, or PM one of the main team.

There is more information in the first post, and keep an eye on the first post for new edits.
    SineNomine
    SineNomine
    Admin
    Admin

Post  SineNomine Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:23 pm

Just letting people know, just because it's quiet here doesn't mean we're not busy! I've been working on some design documents, I'll share them soon. Artakha has been working on designing some enemies.
    Artakha
    Artakha
    Pizza Samurai
    Pizza Samurai

Post  Artakha Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:47 pm

wait, what? Shocked

haha jk Let's make an rpg together - Page 4 3562723908
    SineNomine
    SineNomine
    Admin
    Admin

Post  SineNomine Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:09 pm

quick status update:

1. We're going to get you people to start helping again. I know what you're thinking, and the answer is no, you don't have a choice. There are a few things we will be doing to make it easier for you all to jump back in:

2. Very very soon we will be releasing the documents we've been working on. Like in a few days soon.

3. I think I'll start a new, fresh topic. This one is such a mess, it's really hard to understand whats going on.

4. I'd like to point out the Community Spotlight thread. I made it for people to discuss one aspect of the game at a time, without having to have complete knowledge of the game. The first of these spotlights focuses on Sasquatch. You just have to discuss and come up with his character, personality, and appearance. Simple, no?

5. small thing, but for those who didnt notice I've moved this topic into a new section of the forum devoted entirely to Hoboquest development. https://draw.forumotion.com/f9-hoboquest-development

So, Operation: Resuming Development Part 2 is about to enter its next phase.
    Technetium
    Technetium
    Pizza Samurai
    Pizza Samurai

Awesomes : 4559

Post  Technetium Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:00 pm

Starting work on the grass/trees/train tileset for the first scene!
    SineNomine
    SineNomine
    Admin
    Admin

Post  SineNomine Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:21 pm

Ah yes, those documents I promised. I'm just gonna copy/paste the story outline, as is. It has been constantly added to, and is a very rough draft; ignore any grammar or errors.

-------------------------
    -----------------------
    NORMAL PRESENT: One day a hobo was walking along the train tracks when a flying monkey stole his hat. He chases it as a strange looking circus train starts passing them. The monkey flies aboard the train and hobo jumps onto the last car. Hobo fights his way through heavily armed animals. He eventually beats the flying monkey (who has a jetpack), but it doesn't have the hat. He continues moving to the front of the train. He gets a key from defeating a boss, and goes into the door to the front of train. Scene:
    A mad scientist is holding a gun to a Sasquatch, who is captured, and chained with a lock. “HA HA, I’ve finally got you! My plans are almost complete! You will make the ultimate weapon! HA HA HA!” You then control hobo to use the key on the lock, freeing Sasquatch. They beat up the scientist. He denies knowing anything about a hat. Then, a LARPer walks in, wearing the hobo-hat. The scientist says “Son, you’re grounded.”

The train arrives in city, Hobo (with his hat) and Sassy get off and go on an adventure in the city. (Sasquatch has joined the party!) Meanwhile, at the scientists house right outside the city, the larper has been sent to his room. After asking the poster on his wall of his childhood hero, Larpiathan the Destroyer, for advice, his thoughts turn to revenge, and he steals one of his dads inventions and goes on a rampage in the city. He bumps into hobo and sassy, and without hesitation, he zaps them with the device, sending them back in time. The police arrive and arrest the larper, clearly that was illegal.

DINO PAST: (Prehistoric era): The device used by larper creates portal in the prehistoric sky that Hobo and Sassy fall through. Hobo and Sassy go on a big adventure on a prehistoric continent. They have to get back to the portal, therefore they go on a long, epic adventure to get the pterosaurs to fly them to the portal, with a velociraptor named Mara joining on the way. When they are close to their goal, they see a meteor falling from the sky. Thinking it’s going to kill them, they race to the portal and make it just in time.

Dino Present: (Alt.Present): They fly out of the portal at high speed. The meteor comes out of the portal upwards, just missing them, (apparently it fell in the portal right behind them) flying into the sky and heading for space. They celebrate the end of their adventure, gazing at the shooting star. (Even the players think it may be the end of the game) But they quickly realize that the world has changed. Dinosaurs are ruling the planet. They replaced people, and are civilized. They are wearing tophats, monocles, and the like. The hobo team realize that because the meteor didn’t destroy the dinosaurs, it changed the past and they need to put the meteor back in the portal to fix time. They look up spaceships with lasers in the yellow pages of a phone-book. They find a number so they call and ask if they can use his spaceship. They meet the dinosaur and discover it is the dinosaur version of the mad scientist. They somehow use the ship to blast the meteor into the portal. That should have fixed the timeline, but nothing changes.
    Then the time police show up, and use their futuristic technology to track an anomaly in the timeline, which is what is not allowing time to go back to normal. It is a portal, in the jail cell where the larper was being held, and it needs to be closed for time to fix itself. but it can only be closed from the other side. So the team go in.

The Beginning of Time: You meet Larpiathan the Destroyer. He challenges you to fight. In the difficult boss battle, his armor slowly breaks off, revealing he is the larper. He has become what he is by the side effects of messing with too much time travel; he was banished from most of time, and has become immortal. Even though he has aged thousands of years, he has become even more immature, selfish and egotistical, still holding the grudge against hobo. He uses his ultimate attack, Heart to Heart Boom Boom, an attack of pure darkness, to try to turn hobo evil. But it is reflected off of hobos pure heart, and redirected at the larper. The larper becomes good, extremely cheerful, happy-go-lucky, cheesy, and in a way more obnoxious than when he was evil. Larpy joins the party*, and uses his device to fix time. *only temporarily, you don’t get to use him in battle.

NORMAL PRESENT: When the team get back, Larpy says he wants to apologize to his dad for running away. On their way to the lab/house, Larpy explains that his dad built a machine that would allow him to send messages back in time to himself, but he got a threatening message from someone who took over his lab saying he is planning an invasion from the future to come and steal the scientists most prized thing. That is why the scientist has been preparing an army of weaponized animals in defiance. But right before the team gets to the house, a portal appears and a mysterious man in a gas mask and some robot dinosaurs come out and kidnap larpy. The team follows them into the portal.

FUTURE: They arrive 10 years into the future, in the city, which is abandoned, looking almost post-apocalyptic. They find a robot named PC, who joins the party. He explains that all the people left because of the pollution coming outside of a hi-tech fortress, (which is up on the hill where the scientists/larpers house was.). They begin their assault on the fortress, trying to save larpy. They fight the forces of the villain, who reveals himself to be the scientist from 10 years in the future, who went mad from the loss of his son 10 years ago, the last he saw of him was when he ran away. So he decided to “save” his son by kidnapping him from the past and locking him away to keep him “safe”. They somehow free larpy, and he uses Heart to Heart Boom Boom, only this time a good version, and makes the scientist good. Larpy decides to stay in the future with the good scientist, even though he is able to change the past and go back to the scientist, he decides to stay because he has learned his lesson that messing with time travel will only make things worse. Just when the team are about to go back in the portal to the present, the scientists 5 strongest dino-robots attack, still in autopilot. Shortly into the battle, the scientist and larpy jump in the cockpits of 2 of them to shut the autopilot off, but before they can, all five combine in voltron style into a giant robot, with scientist and larpy in the cockpits of both arms. The team fights the final boss while scientist and larpy make the robot punch itself repeatedly. It is a long and epic battle. When it is over, the team go back in time and the ending plays.

Normal present: ending
    ---------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    So there it is. The original doc had different colors highlighting different things but apparently it didn't transfer over.

After all the work I've done organizing this project so the (constantly absent) community and people who don't want to get too involved can... get involved, I realize this may be futile. It may not be in the future, though. For now I'm going to just keep up on the development with the main team, which is small but growing.
    Technetium
    Technetium
    Pizza Samurai
    Pizza Samurai

Post  Technetium Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:19 pm

I've been staring over Nathan's shoulder watching him program the first scene of hoboquest :D But he's leaving for the weekend so I'll just be drawing more graphics I guess :T
    Artakha
    Artakha
    Pizza Samurai
    Pizza Samurai

Post  Artakha Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:27 pm

I think you should get in the chat frequently so I don't get lonely while Nathan is gone Let's make an rpg together - Page 4 3562723908
    Technetium
    Technetium
    Pizza Samurai
    Pizza Samurai

Post  Technetium Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:37 pm

I prefer lurking in the chatbox over chatting in the chatbox...

Anyways, If anybody wants to draw some weapon icons for the game, here's an example.
    Let's make an rpg together - Page 4 Steel_11

There's a basic steel sword I threw together... I used a free program called "GraphicsGale" that focuses on pixel art. Here's a link if you want to check it out http://www.humanbalance.net/gale/us/download.html

The icons for the weapons should be 24x24 pixels and it can be any type of weapon really... or items... probably not armor/clothes though because that will be an entirely different template. The hobo will mostly use plungers, clubs, maybe swords, and maybe more... a lot of the weapon types are undecided.

If you draw an icon that you think is just absolutely amazing... that doesn't necessarily mean we'll use it, so as long as at least a few people like it, we'll use it in the game :)
    Technetium
    Technetium
    Pizza Samurai
    Pizza Samurai

Post  Technetium Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:37 pm

Some more sprites to be used in the game:
    Let's make an rpg together - Page 4 Homeru11Let's make an rpg together - Page 4 Plunge11Let's make an rpg together - Page 4 Stick12Let's make an rpg together - Page 4 Apple12Let's make an rpg together - Page 4 Banana11Let's make an rpg together - Page 4 Crinkl10
    Artakha
    Artakha
    Pizza Samurai
    Pizza Samurai

Post  Artakha Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:04 pm

I'll have to try my hand at making weapons and such. However, I will be on vacation (if you don't know what that is that's fine, I don't either) until next week or so.
    Artakha
    Artakha
    Pizza Samurai
    Pizza Samurai

Post  Artakha Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:59 pm

I'm back! Who missed me? And how much did you get done while I was gone? Let's make an rpg together - Page 4 1775307172
    SineNomine
    SineNomine
    Admin
    Admin

Post  SineNomine Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:54 am

actually this week was kinda a break I guess, with us going to the fair and Tech went camping. Anyway, still moving forward, full steam ahead. Wow, this has been a busy week, but we need to work on the town planning soon.
    Artakha
    Artakha
    Pizza Samurai
    Pizza Samurai

Post  Artakha Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:16 pm

Ok. Since it seems we're never in the chat anymore I guess we could work on that here. What needs to be done?

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:35 am