DRAWVENTURES

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
allicopter
Artakha
SineNomine
7 posters

Let's make an rpg together

SineNomine
    SineNomine
    Admin
    Admin

Awesomes : 4723

Let's make an rpg together Empty Let's make an rpg together

Post  SineNomine Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:45 am

Announcement, FOR ALL OF YOU, READ:
    Okay, those of you who want to know whats going on, here is a summary of things being worked on, and things to come. As well as what you're going to be helping out with.

Okay, first off, let me introduce how everybodies roles go:
    There are 2 divisions so far:

Main Team:
    SineNomine
    Artakha
    Technetium

and maybe MandaPanda

The Community:
    All you great people who are awesome

Your role as the community:
    If you want to keep it simple, and I know some of you do, there will be a series of threads titled: "Community Spotlight". There will always be one open. The purpose is to focus on one aspect of the game at a time, and freely discuss the subject. It takes very little effort, and I really encourage you all to participate.
    And another way to get involved, without getting too involved, is to keep an eye out for polls. There will be aspects on which you can anonymously vote.
    And for those who want to get more involved, follow the main thread, this thread. There will be a lot of things that we, the main team, will need help with to get done. These things we would ask of you, will not usually require a special skill*, There are just a lot things to do, and we need to manage our time wisely.
    And if you want to be part of the main team, or just want to be assigned things to do, or want to volunteer, post in this thread or PM me. Also see the section below, hilighted in blue, for things that need a volunteer. It's way down at the bottom of this post.

feel free to ask questions in this thread, or PM one of the main team.

==============
    What you need to know about the project so far:

What is the game called?
    ...............................................(i had to center it to make it look right)

HoboQuest
    lost in time

What is it about?
    It is an rpg, staring a hobo. He joins forces with Sasquatch, a Velociraptor, a robot, and others, and they go on an adventure as they are flung back in time, to the prehistoric world, ruled by dinosaurs.

The game is being programmed with RpgMaker VX

What can I do to help?
    see the section above: "Your role as the community"
    or look in this section in blue, below:

-------=========****Volunteer's_Needed*****========--------
    jobs to volunteer for

====================
    -------old original post,-----
    Alright everyone, I need your input to make a crappy AWESOME rpg game. I could really use your input people. This is really happening. I've got rpg maker and I'm ready to make an rpg. Just drop random ideas and brainstorm here and follow the development of a game you helped to make.
    This is going to be LAME crappy ironically terrible. I encourage you all to be as silly as possible.

So what should it be about? Aliens? Donuts? Gorillas drinking coffee? Who is the main character? C'mon people just post! Let's make an rpg together 1536088493
    Were making this happen!

Last edited by SineNomine on Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:49 pm; edited 10 times in total
    SineNomine
    SineNomine
    Admin
    Admin

Let's make an rpg together Empty Re: Let's make an rpg together

Post  SineNomine Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:58 pm

Did you not here me say "We're making this happen!"???

but in all seriousness I really think this is going to be a fun thing to do together.
    Artakha
    Artakha
    Pizza Samurai
    Pizza Samurai

Awesomes : 4548

Post  Artakha Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:18 pm

I'm Batman. Razz What kind of RPG are you talking about?
    SineNomine
    SineNomine
    Admin
    Admin

Post  SineNomine Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:07 pm

Fiiiiine, I suppose some boundaries are in order for you all to get the idea of what we're dealing with here, and thus brainstorm confabulate (This is my new favorite word) ideas for the project.

All right, time for a new introduction. I have this program, RPG Maker. It can make games like the old final fantasy's with a battle system like EarthBound. Let's keep it simple, though. First, the planning stages, we decide what the setting and enemies will be. The game could be called hoboquest and you fight bums in the park, or it could be about something else ridiculous. Then, we move on to the graphics, draw those enemies and sprites. Then, finally put it all in the game. That's the simple way to put it, but there will be extra things to do and design along the way.

so, I'd like to propose 3 rules:
    1. Don't take this project to seriously
    2. take don't project this seriously to
    3. project this don't seriously to take
    oh and 4. don't suggest anything copyrighted. No Batman, I'm sorry.

There is still a lot that needs explained, but don't worry about that. First things first, what's the game about? Whats it called?
    allicopter
    allicopter
    Crazy Straw
    Crazy Straw

Awesomes : 4523

Post  allicopter Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:51 pm

haha actually hoboquest sounded really cool xD but I'm sure other people have better ideas...
    Artakha
    Artakha
    Pizza Samurai
    Pizza Samurai

Post  Artakha Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:45 pm

Dinosaurs are required XD
    SineNomine
    SineNomine
    Admin
    Admin

Post  SineNomine Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:37 am

So... time-traveling hobo? Right on. Let's say he got sent back in time... because.... and then... he fights dinosaurs... and... then goes back to the future, but dinosaurs now rule the world 'cause he changed the past. They have monocles and tophats. Something like that. Or not. Keep throwing ideas in.
    Artakha
    Artakha
    Pizza Samurai
    Pizza Samurai

Post  Artakha Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:55 pm

YES! Dino's in tophats and monocles. And Waffles have to be added in somewhere... Will you be able to choose what your hobo looks like? and can you make it so that you can play as a dino at some point?
    MandaPanda
    MandaPanda
    Gummy Worm
    Gummy Worm

Awesomes : 4508

Post  MandaPanda Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:11 pm

the hobo got sent back in time because he stole waffles from...... an evil a mad scientist. so the scientist decided sending the hobo back in time was the best way to get rid of him. the hobo adopts a pet velociraptor, who helps him fights the mean dinos. wow this is crazy... am i babbling crazy talk?? :S
    Artakha
    Artakha
    Pizza Samurai
    Pizza Samurai

Post  Artakha Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:14 pm

yes you are babbling. but it's AWESOME talk Let's make an rpg together 391947 you should be able to switch from the raptor to hobo in play.
    SineNomine
    SineNomine
    Admin
    Admin

Post  SineNomine Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:20 am

yes a dino totally joins your party. And waffles.... um... yes the hobo steals waffles from the scientist.
    Also I think we need LARPers, somehow.

edit: Here's a crazy idea. A larper steals the inventions from a mad scientist and pretends to be a wizard or something. Then the hobo makes him angry by stealing his waffles or something and then the larper uses a device to send him back in time.
    Very Happy
    Technetium
    Technetium
    Pizza Samurai
    Pizza Samurai

Awesomes : 4600

Post  Technetium Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:46 am

I could totally imagine a larper waving a plastic wand angrily and screaming about his waffles, then sending the hobo back in time with a stolen time machine...

oh, and for those of you who don't understand the term "LARP" ... well... Example video
    SineNomine
    SineNomine
    Admin
    Admin

Post  SineNomine Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:11 am

the larpist is gonna say "lightnigh bolt!" when he uses the machine on hobo. Laughing

So what's the hobos name? What's he look like and junk.
    Artakha
    Artakha
    Pizza Samurai
    Pizza Samurai

Post  Artakha Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:13 pm

Can you make it so that at the beginning of the game you can choose your gender? Then maybe when you start the game you can choose your name as well? IDK. If it has to be a boy and the name is set from the beginning, then I think his name should be... Neil Lister. If it's a girl I would say Mara Summers. I got the boy name from this, the girl name I came up with myself. I like Mara or Summer for a girl name, so I combined them Razz
    SineNomine
    SineNomine
    Admin
    Admin

Post  SineNomine Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:23 pm

let's try to not make it to complicated to program, the simpler the better. Although it isn't to hard to make it so you can choose your name.
    allicopter
    allicopter
    Crazy Straw
    Crazy Straw

Awesomes : 4523

Post  allicopter Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:35 pm

haha xD thank you so much for clearing up the whole larper thing because I had no idea! its like those kids from The Sasquatch Gang Very Happy thats soooooo awesome!
    annnd I totally agree that he should say "lightning bolt" lolfr xD ....the hobo should have moon boots too (like Napoleon Dynamite)

Artakha
    Artakha
    Pizza Samurai
    Pizza Samurai

Post  Artakha Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:02 pm

SineNomine wrote:let's try to not make it to complicated to program, the simpler the better. Although it isn't to hard to make it so you can choose your name.
    Does that mean that I can't play as a velociraptor? Let's make an rpg together 236830
    Technetium
    Technetium
    Pizza Samurai
    Pizza Samurai

Post  Technetium Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:18 pm

allicopter wrote:

haha xD thank you so much for clearing up the whole larper thing because I had no idea! its like those kids from The Sasquatch Gang

Speaking of sasquatch... I vote he makes a random appearance at some point :D
    SineNomine
    SineNomine
    Admin
    Admin

Post  SineNomine Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:35 pm

The velociraptor will most definitely "join your party". We're making an rpg here. hmm maybe it should be clear how the game mechanics work. Meh I'll get to that later.

OOh! A long long time ago I had a folder on a hard drive where I stored free to use music for if I ever wanted to make a game. And I just got the harddrive back so now we have music for our game! yay.

sorry for the messy posts recently, I'm usually in a hurry lol
    Artakha
    Artakha
    Pizza Samurai
    Pizza Samurai

Post  Artakha Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:25 pm

SineNomine wrote:The velociraptor will most definitely "join your party". We're making an rpg here. hmm maybe it should be clear how the game mechanics work.
    Yes, please make the game mechanics clearer Let's make an rpg together 347709 I'm giving random ideas and I don't have a clue whether they'll work or not Let's make an rpg together 963542
    Technetium
    Technetium
    Pizza Samurai
    Pizza Samurai

Post  Technetium Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:28 pm

Some things that I find really reel me into a good game:
    1. Customization (I hate it on rpgs when you look the same from start to finish... It's satisfying to be able to visually see your character's progress depending on how you choose to progress)
    2. The option to continue messing around in the game after you've beaten it. (y'know how annoying it is when you have to reset an rpg after the credits roll, without getting to save so it starts you right before the last boss every time you load the saved game. lol)
    3. Secrets (secret items,characters,areas and optional party members is a huge plus imo)
    4. Alternate endings/secret final boss battle (It's a plus... but probably not worth programming)
    5. Freedom (invisible walls are no bueno)
    6. Mechanics (outside of battle on the game, implementation of weapons and items being put to use)
    7. Visually consistent (HD dialog box borders with 16bit character sprites? really?)
    8. Features (This basically includes all the above, features are something nice that give you something to do when you get bored of the main story line.)

Ok, I'm shutting up now c:
    velvetgrace
    velvetgrace
    Certified Noodle
    Certified Noodle

Awesomes : 4502

Post  velvetgrace Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:51 pm

Sasquatch should soooo join your party, that would be boss. Let's make an rpg together 3923469007
    Artakha
    Artakha
    Pizza Samurai
    Pizza Samurai

Post  Artakha Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:15 pm

I was thinking (hard to believe but true) that the mad scientist guy should be the bad guy planning to take over the world by taking dino's from the past, making them intelligent and using then as his henchman then the LARPer sends you back in time for stealing his waffles and you somehow find out about the mad scientists plan, make friends with a few intelligent dino's, save the world, etc. just a thought
    SineNomine
    SineNomine
    Admin
    Admin

Post  SineNomine Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:37 pm

The mad scientist maybe should have a different plan. It would be funnier if there are modern dinos with monocles when you get back to the present because you changed the past, maybe saved them from going extinct. You should stop the meteor to save yourself, that would be awesome.

idea: scientist is larpers father, tells him not to play with his dangerous expirements. But spoiled kids never listen, do they.

party members:
    hobo
    a dino
    sasquatch

hobo's, dino's and larpers oh my!

Yes, please make the game mechanics clearer I'm giving random ideas and I don't have a clue whether they'll work or not
    yeah ill get to that, maybe make a demo or something
    SineNomine
    SineNomine
    Admin
    Admin

Post  SineNomine Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:25 am

Alright, I made a small game with rpg maker so you can all see how the game works.

Arrow keys move, Space button to interact with things. Random battles will occur when you walk around. In battle, you can choose different actions like "fight" use "skills" or "guard" or "run away".

Play it please?

EDIT: that link might be broken for some people, here is alternate link.

http://www.filedropper.com/project3_1

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 8:34 am